Tuesday, January 18, 2011

nursery design part one

Many of you know I love design. So it's no surprise that creating a nursery from scratch has been SO much fun! But let's be honest, it's also not been easy!

I wanted the nursery to be functional... so I focused on keeping it nursery only and making sure the forms [or objects] worked together to create a cohesive idea. And another huge factor in all of this is budget. Budget is always on the forefront when starting any new project!

So, my goals in creating this nursery are:


  1. Budget-friendly: I did not want to put a lot of money into this room because I knew she'd grow out of it and we won't be staying in this house forever.

  2. Functional and accessible: As discussed above, the function of the space is strictly baby. No home office, storage room, etc. And it must be accessible for anyone to come in to spend time with her [ie: a comfy chair to rock her in, books to read to her, etc.].

  3. Lastingness [durabiltiy, constancy]: I want her to be able to enjoy this room for YEARS... not just as a baby. Having this in mind keeps the design centered around her as she grows into a toddler and beyond.

I then had to decide on the must-haves for this space. Here's the list I came up with:



  1. Bassinet or Crib

  2. Seating

  3. Changing Table

  4. Dresser or Armoire

  5. Lamp

  6. Bedding [sheets mostly]

  7. CD player

  8. Hamper

  9. Diaper Pail
Along with these must-haves came the list of final touches; which will be saved for another post!

The next step I took was to map out the nursery. Schematic floor plans of different furniture layouts helped me decide what size of things I needed, what would fit and wouldn't fit into the room, and helped me see any challenges I might face [i.e. window placement, closet doors, bedroom door, etc.].

Next I worked on a "jump off" color and/or piece of furniture. This being some sort of focal point that can help steer the course of the project. I knew I wanted the main color to be gender neutral [since we plan on having more babies!]. So creme and black became the foundation for the space. Not only are they your basic neutrals, they are stimulating enough for a newborn, not overpowering and can be used for many years. Then I had to decide on a pop of color to create a personal touch- raspberry! I plan on using this in the accessories and final touches. This way is reads 'girl-nursery' and I can use different shades and tints of raspberry. Also she can use these accessories for many years [I'm thinking storage bins, etc.]. I must say I'm really tired of pink and brown. And a solid pink room reminded me of being in a bottle of pepto-bismal. No thank you! I wanted her nursery to evoke a soothing, comfortable feel and create a feeling of wonder and exploration.




Now that I had my colors I concentrated on finding a piece to act as the focal point. I always check Craigslist when I want a new piece of furniture. Not only can you find something affordable and sometimes negotiable, you get to shop from home! In your pjs! My Mom found this a chair from Dilly-Dallys, a high end children's boutique in Raleigh. It's a swivel rocker and ottoman in a black and creme toile (pronounced like twall) pattern with a checkered skirt. And it was very budget-friendly! It's incredibly comfortable, well made and Jonathan even fits in it! Thank you again, Mom and Dad!



So,the chair became the center of attention for all other decisions.

1 comment:

leah said...

I LOVE the chair and your color scheme for your nursery!! It's going to look so great, can't wait to see how it all comes together!